31 December 2007

The seven churches--part 4: Thyatira, the corrupt church

Revelation 2:18-29--

18 And to the angel of the church in Thyatira write,

"These things says the Son of God, who has eyes like a flame of fire, and His feet like fine brass: 19 'I know your works, love, service, faith, and your patience; and as for your works, the last are more than the first. 20 Nevertheless I have a few things against you, because you allow that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess, to teach and seduce My servants to commit sexual immorality and eat things sacrificed to idols. 21 And I gave her time to repent of her sexual immorality, and she did not repent. 22 Indeed I will cast her into a sickbed, and those who commit adultery with her into great tribulation, unless they repent of their deeds. 23 I will kill her children with death, and all the churches shall know that I am He who searches the minds and hearts. And I will give to each one of you according to your works.

24 Now to you I say, and to the rest in Thyatira, as many as do not have this doctrine, who have not known the depths of Satan, as they say, I will put on you no other burden. 25 But hold fast what you have till I come. 26 And he who overcomes, and keeps My works until the end, to him I will give power over the nations—27 ‘ He shall rule them with a rod of iron; They shall be dashed to pieces like the potter’s vessels’—as I also have received from My Father; 28 and I will give him the morning star.

29 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.' "

At first, I was tempted to say that this passage had its modern equivalent in the prosperity "gospel", specifically TBN. There is a Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess, named Juanita Bynum. She leads so many people astray with her "prophecies", and all of her other silly doctrines, that she does indeed speak like Jezebel. However, looking at what Jesus says about this church's love, patience (or, perseverance), faith, etc., these things do not really resemble TBN at all. Try pointing out where the Copelands, Hinns, Crouches, Whites, etc. are way off base in their heretical teachings, and see how much love you get.

No, this church at Thyatira really resembles many churches in America, much like the church at Pergamos. What's the battle cry among theological liberals in America? "Who are we to judge?" So, these churches have preachers and teachers and pastors who shy away from subjects like sin, repentance, the cross, Hell, God's wrath, etc. They allow women, and out-of-the-closet homosexuals, to teach, and to stand in the pulpit, and they appoint them as pastors and bishops and authorities. They, in turn, teach and seduce the true church to commit sexual sins, and partake in the things of the world. Much like the rabble did with Aaron.

These churches still have time to repent. They still have time to turn from their wickedness. But if they don't, then I am afraid their fate will be like that of Jezebel spoken of here. She, and all those who partake of her sins, will be stricken with sickness and death. But those who come out of these groups, who have not involved themselves with these doctrines of devils, and will hold fast to the truth once given to them till He returns, these will be spared. They will be restored to their first fellowship with Christ, and will rule over nations with Him.

If you are in a church that is preaching a gospel that does not require repentance, or even a self-examination as to whether or not you are in the faith (2nd Corinthians 13:5), and they are teaching things contrary to the word of God, I would strongly urge youu to leave such a church, lest He come upon you quickly.