28 February 2007

OK, one obligatory James Cameron "I found Jesus' tomb" reference, coming up

Oh brother. That I feel I even HAVE to comment on this is kinda goofy in and of itself. James Cameron, who made all of two pretty good movies, has claimed that after 2000 years, and after countless other (more highly skilled) archaeologists have done their digging, James "Titanic, T2" Cameron has found a box that
may have contained the bones of Jesus and his family, according to a press release issued by the Discovery Channel.
And, according to Canadian Television
During the excavation, archeologists found 10 ossuaries and three skulls. Six of the ossuaries had names inscribed into them: Jesus son of Joseph, Judah son of Jesus, Maria, Mariamne, Joseph and Matthew.
I don't recall where I read it, but I have to agree with this poster over at another blog (If I figure out which one, let me know)--"That would be like going to Dublin, Ireland, and finding a gravestone that says, 'Here lies Patrick, son of Sean, brother of Ryan'".

One thing I always try to remember is, I don't make the news. I don't even report it. I simply tell you what to think about it:). We're going to be hearing from people like James Dobson, Jerry Fallwell, etc. that we shouldn't watch this show. I say, watch the stupid thing!! If someone's faith is so weak that they can allow themselves to be brainwashed by a money-hungry Hollywood type who doesn't know the first thing about the Bible or archaeology (or Biblical archaeology), then that person never truly believed in the first place. By the same token, if your faith is strong enough, you can watch it and have a good laugh at this guy's pathetic attempt to look intelligent.

Make up your own mind. The Christian faith has survived 2000 years of Roman emperors, Inquisitions, the USSR, China, and the ACLU. How can we who know the strength and might of the LORD our GOD ever be afraid that a dumb TV show is strong enough to tear down the Church that Christ paid for with His blood?

UPDATE: John J. Miller over at National Review Online has a really cool scathing of the show.