Some quotes from the High Prince of the TBN crowd, Kenneth Copeland. Reading these would make me laugh if they weren't so pathetically heretical. Via Berean Faith.
When Jesus cried, 'It is finished!' He was not speaking of the plan of redemption. There were still three days and nights to go through before He went to the throne...Jesus' death on the cross was only the beginning of the complete work of redemption."
-------Kenneth Copeland (Jesus -- Our Lord of Glory, Believer's Voice of Victory Magazine 10, 4; April 1982, p. 3)
- Uh, Kenny, when He cried, "It is finished", He meant "It is finished!" Nowhere does it say that Jesus "suffering in Hell" paid for our sins. It's the cross, Kenny, only the cross!!
-------Kenneth Copeland (Holy Bible: Kenneth Copeland Reference Edition, 1991, p.129)
- Where he gets this from, I have no idea.
"He [Jesus] allowed the devil to drag Him into the depths of hell....He allowed Himself to come under Satan's control...every demon in hell came down on Him to annihilate Him....They tortured Him beyond anything anybody had ever conceived. For three days He suffered everything there is to suffer."
-------Kenneth Copeland (The Price of It All, 3)
- This must have been one of his "divine revelations." OY.
But, wait! There's more. Jesus had to die...spiritually!!
"Jesus had to go through that same spiritual death in order to pay the price. Now it wasn't the physical death on the cross that paid the price for sin, because if it had of been any prophet of God that had died for the last couple of thousand years before that could have paid that price. It wasn't physical death anybody could do that."
-------Kenneth Copeland (What Satan Saw on the Day of Pentecost, audio tape #020022)
- No. Only Jesus' death on the cross was sufficient to atone for our sins. He had to be "a Lamb without spot or blemish." All the prophets of old--and even the patriarchs--had sin in their lives. But Jesus had no sin, neither was deceit found in His mouth. It was the DEATH of the Lamb of GOD that satisfied the wrath of GOD.
"The Spirit of God spoke to me and He said, "Son, realize this. Now follow me in this and don't let your tradition trip you up." He said, "Think this way -- a twice-born man whipped Satan in his own domain." And I threw my Bible down... like that. I said, "What?" He said, "A born-again man defeated Satan, the firstborn of many brethren defeated him." He said, "You are the very image, the very copy of that one." I said, "Goodness, gracious sakes alive!" And I began to see what had gone on in there, and I said, "Well now you don't mean, you couldn't dare mean, that I could have done the same thing?" He said, "Oh yeah, if you'd had the knowledge of the Word of God that He did, you could have done the same thing, 'cause you're a reborn man too."
-------Kenneth Copeland (Substitution and Identification, tape #00-0202, side 2)
- I got nuthin'. I have don't even know how to answer something as pathetic, heretical, and downright blasphemous as this claim that ol' Kenny Boy could have taken Christ's place on that cross.
Oh, and get this: GOD isn't in control of ANYTHING!! In fact, if you so desire, you can be the boss of GOD:
As a believer, you have a right to make commands in the name of Jesus. Each time you stand on the Word, you are commanding God to a certain extent because it is His Word."
-------Kenneth Copeland (Our Covenant with God, 1987, p. 32)
- That's right! Because GOD, when He was dictating His word to the apostles and prophets, got careless and lazy, and left us a loophole by which we could twist His arm, and make Him our personal genie-in-a-bottle.
"God's on the outside looking in. He doesn't have any legal entree into the earth. The thing don't belong to Him. You see how sassy the Devil was in the presence of God in the book of Job? God said, "Where have you been?" Wasn't any of God's business. He [Satan] didn't even have to answer if he didn't want to ... God didn't argue with him a bit! You see, this is the position that God's been in ... Might say, "Well, if God's running things He's doing a lousy job of it." He hadn't been running 'em, except when He's just got, you know, a little bit of a chance."
-------Kenneth Copeland (Image of God in You III, 1989, audiotape #01-1403, side 1)
- Psalm 24:1--"The earth is the LORD's, and the fullness thereof."
- Psalm 47:2--"For the LORD Most High is awesome; He is a great King over all the earth."
- Matthew 28:18--"And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth."
And did you know that you can FORCE GOD to give you wealth?
"The basic principle of the Christian life is to know that God put our sin, sickness, disease, sorrow, grief, and poverty on Jesus at Calvary," he asserts. "For Him to put any of this on us now would be a miscarriage of justice."?
----------Kenneth Copeland (The Troublemaker, 6)
- 1st Timothy 6:8-10--"And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and [into] many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."
- Couldn't have said it better myself.
- 2nd Timothy 3:10-12--"But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience, persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of [them] all the Lord delivered me. Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution."
- But, I guess GOD just done forgot all about poor ol' Paul. Seems like the apostle just didn't have that ah-NOIN-tin'!!
I could go on and on with more of the craziness that is "The Gospel According to Brother Kenneth". But, that's enough blasphemy for one day.