01 September 2010

"Paul never quoted Jesus!" (1st & 2nd Timothy, Titus)



1st Timothy 1:12-13--And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord who has enabled me, because He counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry, although I was formerly a blasphemer, a persecutor, and an insolent man.
  • Acts 26:14-18--"Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads...I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. But rise and stand on your feet; for I have appeared to you for this purpose, to make you a minister and a witness both of the things which you have seen and of the things which I will yet reveal to you. I will deliver you from the Jewish people, as well as from the Gentiles, to whom I now send you, to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me."
1st Timothy 1:15--This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief.
  • Luke 19:10--"The Son of Man has come to seek and save that which was lost."
1st Timothy 2:5-6--For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself a ransom for all.
  • Matthew 20:28--"The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many."
1st Timothy 6:6-10--Now godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content. But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
  • Matthew 6:24-25--"No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon. Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing?"
1st Timothy 6:17-19--Command those who are rich in this present age not to be haughty, nor to trust in uncertain riches but in the living God, who gives us richly all things to enjoy. Let them do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to give, willing to share, storing up for themselves a good foundation for the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life.
  • Luke 12:15-21--"Take heed and beware of covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses." Then He spoke a parable to them, saying: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded plentifully. And he thought within himself, saying, ‘What shall I do, since I have no room to store my crops?’ So he said, ‘I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build greater, and there I will store all my crops and my goods. And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, and be merry.”’ But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?’ So is he who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God."
------------------------------------

2nd Timothy 2:3-7--You therefore must endure hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. No one engaged in warfare entangles himself with the affairs of this life, that he may please him who enlisted him as a soldier. And also if anyone competes in athletics, he is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules. The hardworking farmer must be first to partake of the crops. Consider what I say, and may the Lord give you understanding in all things.
  • Luke 9:59-62--Then He said to another, “Follow Me.” But he said, “Lord, let me first go and bury my father.” Jesus said to him, Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and preach the kingdom of God.” And another also said, “Lord, I will follow You, but let me first go and bid them farewell who are at my house.” But Jesus said to him, No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.”
  • Luke 17:31-32--"In that day, he who is on the housetop, and his goods are in the house, let him not come down to take them away. And likewise the one who is in the field, let him not turn back. Remember Lot’s wife."
2nd Timothy 2:12-13--This is a faithful saying: For if we died with Him, we shall also live with Him. If we endure, we shall also reign with Him. If we deny Him, He also will deny us. If we are faithless, He remains faithful; He cannot deny Himself.
  • Luke 17:33--"Whoever seeks to save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life will preserve it."
  • Mark 13:12-13--"Now brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; and children will rise up against parents and cause them to be put to death. And you will be hated by all for My name’s sake. But he who endures to the end shall be saved."
  • Matthew 10:32-33--"Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven."
2nd Timothy 2:19--Nevertheless the solid foundation of God stands, having this seal: “The Lord knows those who are His,” and, “Let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity.”
  • John 10:14--"I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own."
  • Matthew 24:45-47--"Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his master made ruler over his household, to give them food in due season? Blessed is that servant whom his master, when he comes, will find so doing. Assuredly, I say to you that he will make him ruler over all his goods."
2nd Timothy 3:12--Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution.
  • John 16:33--"In this world you will have tribulation."
2nd Timothy 4:3-4--For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.
  • Matthew 24:37-39--"But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. For as in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, and did not know until the flood came and took them all away, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be."
------------------------------------

Titus 2:11--For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men.
  • John 12:32--"And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all peoples to Myself."
Titus 3:8--This is a faithful saying, and these things I want you to affirm constantly, that those who have believed in God should be careful to maintain good works.
  • Matthew 5:16--"Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in Heaven."
Titus 3:10-1--Reject a divisive man after the first and second admonition, knowing that such a person is warped and sinning, being self-condemned.
  • Matthew 18:15-17--"Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone...But if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that ‘by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.’ And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church. But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector."