30 August 2010

"Paul never quoted Jesus!"--2nd Corinthians



Continuing our series, enlightening the one who draws near to Jesus with their lips, while their hearts are far from Him.

2nd Corinthians 1:3-5--Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.
  • John 14:15-18 (KJV)--"If ye love me, keep my commandments. And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you."

2nd Corinthians 1:17-19--Therefore, when I was planning this, did I do it lightly? Or the things I plan, do I plan according to the flesh, that with me there should be Yes, Yes, and No, No? But as God is faithful, our word to you was not Yes and No. For the Son of God, Jesus Christ...was not Yes and No, but in Him was Yes.
  • Matthew 5:37--"But let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No.' For whatever is more than these is from the evil one."

2nd Corinthians 3:5-6--Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God, who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.
  • John 6:61-63--When Jesus knew in Himself that His disciples complained about this, He said to them, "Does this offend you? What then if you should see the Son of Man ascend where He was before? It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life."

2nd Corinthians 3:14-16--But their minds were blinded. For until this day the same veil remains unlifted in the reading of the Old Testament, because the veil is taken away in Christ. But even to this day, when Moses is read, a veil lies on their heart. Nevertheless when one turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away.
  • Luke 10:21-22--In that hour Jesus rejoiced in the Spirit and said, “I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and revealed them to babes. Even so, Father, for so it seemed good in Your sight. All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows who the Son is except the Father, and who the Father is except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him.”
  • Matthew 13:13--"Therefore I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand."

2nd Corinthians 5:10-11--For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad. Knowing, therefore, the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are well known to God, and I also trust are well known in your consciences.
  • Matthew 16:27--"For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works."
  • Matthew 10:28--"And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."

2nd Corinthians 5:17--If any man is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away, behold, all things have become new.
  • John 3:3-5--Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” Nicodemus said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?” Jesus answered, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God."

2nd Corinthians 6:10--...as sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things.
  • John 16:22--"Therefore you now have sorrow; but I will see you again and your heart will rejoice, and your joy no one will take from you."

2nd Corinthians 8:9--For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor, that you through His poverty might become rich.
  • Matthew 8:20--And Jesus said to him, “Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head.”

2nd Corinthians 9:10--Now may He who supplies seed to the sower, and bread for food, supply and multiply the seed you have sown and increase the fruits of your righteousness.
  • Matthew 13:23-26--"But he who received seed on the good ground is he who hears the word and understands it, who indeed bears fruit and produces: some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty." Another parable He put forth to them, saying: "The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field; but while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat and went his way. But when the grain had sprouted and produced a crop, then the tares also appeared."
  • Luke 8:4-11--He spoke by a parable: "A sower went out to sow his seed. And as he sowed, some fell by the wayside...Some fell on rock...And some fell among thorns...But others fell on good ground, sprang up, and yielded a crop a hundredfold"...Then His disciples asked Him, saying, “What does this parable mean?” And He said, “To you it has been given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God, but to the rest it is given in parables...Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God..."
  • John 6:32-35--Then Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, Moses did not give you the bread from heaven, but My Father gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is He who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world." Then they said to Him, "Lord, give us this bread always." And Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst."

2nd Corinthians 10:7--Do you look at things according to the outward appearance?
  • John 7:24--"Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment."

2nd Corinthians 10:12-13--For we dare not class ourselves or compare ourselves with those who commend themselves. But they, measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise. We, however, will not boast beyond measure, but within the limits of the sphere which God appointed us—a sphere which especially includes you.
  • Matthew 5:5-8--"Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth...Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God."

2nd Corinthians 11:4-5--But I fear, lest somehow, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, so your minds may be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. For if he who comes preaches another Jesus whom we have not preached, or if you receive a different spirit which you have not received, or a different gospel which you have not accepted—you may well put up with it!
  • Matthew 24:4-5, 23-26--And Jesus answered and said to them: "Take heed that no one deceives you. For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many...Then if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or ‘There!’ do not believe it. For false Christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. See, I have told you beforehand. Therefore if they say to you, ‘Look, He is in the desert!’ do not go out; or ‘Look, He is in the inner rooms!’ do not believe it."

2nd Corinthians 12:1-7--It is doubtless not profitable for me to boast. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord...Of such a one I will boast; yet of myself I will not boast, except in my infirmities. For though I might desire to boast, I will not be a fool; for I will speak the truth. But I refrain, lest anyone should think of me above what he sees me to be or hears from me. And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure.
  • Matthew 23:10-12--"And do not be called teachers; for One is your Teacher, the Christ. But he who is greatest among you shall be your servant. And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

2nd Corinthians 13:11--Finally, brethren, farewell. Become complete. Be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace will be with you.
  • John 14:27--"Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."


And, as a bonus, here is Paul repeating something we see in the gospels. This is not a direct quote from Christ, but knowing that those false witnesses against Christ used His own words, He more than likely mentioned something about "a temple built without hands." I'm not gonna be dogmatic about it, and I'm not trying to read into the Scriptures, but...
2nd Corinthians 5:1--For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
  • Mark 14:57-58--Then some rose up and bore false witness against Him, saying, “We heard Him say, ‘I will destroy this temple made with hands, and within three days I will build another made without hands.’”