08 July 2008

Fake Translation of the Week--Revelation 1:17-18

(Real translation here)

Jehovah's Witnesses believe that Jesus was a created being. They twist and corrupt different passages of Scripture--passages that affirm the deity of Christ--to make it sound as if these verses actually prove thir point. I wonder how today's passage would have to read for them to make their case?

In fact, the dilemma is, who do they say is speaking? If it's Jesus, then He is calling Himself "The First and the Last"--a title that is claimed by YHVH in Isaiah 44:6. If it's the Father, do they believe He died? Well, here are two different ways to read it, depending on which day of the week you hear from the Watchtower (Altered text in bold italics)

Fake Jehovah's Witnesses Translation #1:
Revelation 1:17-18--And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. But He laid His right hand on me, saying to me, "Do not be afraid; I am the First and the Last. But not THE First and THE Last, because that name belongs to the Father. I am simply a representative of His Firstness and His Lastness. I'm not trying to say I'm God. Because I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen."


Fake Jehovah's Witnesses Translation #2:
Revelation 1:17-18--And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. But He laid His right hand on me, saying to me, "Do not be afraid; I am the First and the Last. I am He who lives, and was dead. But it wasn't Me who died. That was My Son. I'm just saying that through Him I died. Because behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen."