23 August 2007

Rolling Stones scolded for smoking...cigarettes

Apparently, the Rolling Stones (ever the arbiters of decorum and taste) caught a scolding for smoking onstage (vis FOX News):
LONDON — The Rolling Stones are keeping the flame of rock rebellion burning.

A London concert venue was given a warning Wednesday after members of the band were pictured smoking onstage during the first British date on their Bigger Bang tour.

Newspaper photographs showed Keith Richards and Ron Wood holding lit cigarettes during the show Tuesday at the O2 Arena.

Smoking is banned in enclosed public places in England under legislation that came into effect July 1. Companies that allow the ban to be breached can be fined up to $5,000.

Greenwich Council, the local authority for the southeast London area where the arena is located, said no one had complained about the onstage smoking, but the venue had been warned not to let it happen again.
I'm not here to come to their defense, but this reeks (no pun intended) of...I don't know, what's the word? Think about it folks: I went to many a concert when I was younger. I saw everybody from Cheap Trick to Van Halen to Genesis to The Who. It was not uncommon for me to get a contact high from all the pot being smoked. (Those days are long behind me. Thank you Lord!) I never did see the Rolling Stoned Stones, but I doubt their crowds are any different.

So, 'ere's da ting. UK authorities are going to scold the band for smoking cigarettes, when probably half the crowd was probably smoking pot. Hmmm. Kinda sounds like liberals in this country.