30 July 2007

"I AM the Way, the Truth, and the Life"--John 14:6 (part 1)

Today we begin to finish up the series on the “I AM” statements of Christ. These are found in the book of John. And taken together, we have a picture of Christ as:
Our sustainer. John 6:35“I AM the Bread of Life.”
Our beacon of hope. John 8:12“I AM the Light of the World.”
Our Entrance into heaven. John 10:7“I AM the Door of the sheep.”
Our Provider and Protector. John 10:11“I AM the Good Shepherd.”
Our Hope for life after death. John 11:25“I AM the Resurrection and the Life.”
Our source of life. John 15:5“I AM the Vine, you are the branches.”
And He also tells us that He is Almighty GOD in the flesh. John 8:58“Before Abraham was, I AM.”

Starting today, we’re going to look at one of Jesus’ most important declarations. It may in fact be one of the most important things Jesus—or anybody else in the Bible—ever said. With this one statement, He made it abundantly clear that no amount of works, no amount of Law-keeping, nothing, would allow you to stand in the presence of Almighty GOD, and be judged righteous, and worthy of entering into heaven. John 14:1-6.
Jesus said, "Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. And where I go you know, and the way you know." Thomas said to Him, "Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?" Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.”
Some people will say, "Well, gee, that’s awfully arrogant and narrow-minded." No, that’s just the way it is. So many people today are searching. There are so many books being written on “spirituality.” So many volumes on Buddhism, and New Age, and the Kaballah—whatever that is. Many people have bookshelves filled with monuments to their “spiritual journey.” I'll admit I have several books in my bookshelf, written by some great men of GOD. But to be honest with you, there’s only one book that I would ever need.

So, what’s that one question that is on everybody’s mind? What’s the question that so many people need to have answered? “How do I get to Heaven?” Thing is, a lot of these people aren’t really looking for the answer they NEED to hear. They’re looking for an answer they WANT to hear. Next time someone asks, “How do I get to Heaven”, tell them that it’s only by accepting Christ as your Lord and your Savior. This is the answer you'll probably get: “Oh, I’ve heard that. I just don’t think I want to believe that.” Sorry. I don’t want to believe that the Florida Gators won the National Championship, but that don’t make it so.

People today are looking for answers. Funny thing is, in this passage, these disciples didn’t even know the question. But those of us who have been touched by the grace of GOD, who have been pulled up from out of the muck and mire of our sins and placed into the kingdom of GOD, we know the question, and we have the Answer. In John 14:6, Jesus says, “I AM the Way, the Truth, and the Life.” Let’s take a look at that for a moment.


JESUS IS THE WAY.
That word “way” means highway, or thoroughfare. It’s how you get somewhere. During World War II, if you wanted to get into Oak Ridge, your options were pretty limited. There were just a few gates. Can you imagine somebody back then saying, “I’m going into Oak Ridge. But, I don’t think I really need to go through any of those gates, or bother with guards. I’m going to find my own way in.”

The sad thing is many people today have that attitude when it comes to getting to Heaven. “I don’t care what GOD says. I’m going to find my own way there.” Try that. Try to be the best person you can be. Do all kinds of good deeds. Receive all kinds of praises and rewards from the world. Do all kinds of righteous deeds. Then, when you stand before Almighty GOD, as the prophet wrote in Isaiah 64:6, “All our righteousnesses are like filthy rags.” He ain’t talking about rags you use to dust your table. If I may be blunt here for a moment. That phrase “filthy rags” LITERALLY means “used menstrual cloths.” Let’s say “dirty diapers”, shall we?

If we join every civic group we can. If we volunteer at the homeless shelter. If we deliver meals to the elderly. If we’re teaching Sunday School, if we’re standing and preaching the Word of GOD. If we do all these things, but we never acknowledge Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior—the volunteering, the teaching, the serving, the preaching is like dirty diapers. And there will be many who will stand before Almighty GOD one day, and when He opens the book of Life, and their name is not there, they’ll say, “But LORD, I brought you all these dirty diapers! Look at all these dirty diapers I brought You!!” And He will say, “Yeah, so what? Your sin is still with you. Depart.”

It’s not by “good deeds.” On the other hand, some people seem to think that dying a horrible death will get us there. Or, going through a lot of suffering in this life. Wrong again. AIDS is a horrible way to die. Your immune system completely shuts down, and you are at the mercy of any infection that decides to take up residence in your body. And at the funeral, friends and family stand around and say, “Oh, he’s in a better place now.” Not necessarily. The same thing with cancer, or any other dreadful, lingering disease. You see, it’s not how you die that determines your eternal destination. It’s not always how you live. It’s where you get your life from. But thank GOD that He doesn’t require us to be perfect. ‘Cause let me tell ya something brother, ain't no way in the world I’d ever make it. GOD—praise His name!!—GOD looked down upon us, and in His infinite mercy He said, “Son, those people need a Savior.” And the apostle John recorded those words that we know so well, “For GOD so loved the world…”

I think there’s a reason that this verse is probably the most well-known verse in the entire Bible. Many people (although, not everybody. This was pointed out to me by my sister in Christ, Norma--see comments) who have never blown the dust off of the Bible that their great-grandma gave them after they were dedicated know a few things about the Bible. They know “In the beginning, GOD created the heavens and the earth.” They know that Charlton Heston went up the mountain and got the Ten Commandments. They know about David and Goliath, Daniel and the lion’s den. They know the Lord’s Prayer, they know the 23rd Psalm. And if they know one verse, they know John 3:16. The reason I think that GOD has made so many people know John 3:16 is because in these few words, Christ does away completely with the whole, entire Mosaic Law. Until this time people had been pinning their hope for eternal life on keeping the Law. But Jesus said, “NO, it’s by believing in Me.”

And today, GOD makes us perfect just the same way. 2nd Corinthians 5:21—“[GOD] made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.” Our Lord Jesus Christ, as He laid down on that cross. He wasn’t defeated. He wasn’t a coward. He purposed in His heart, before even the world was formed, that one day He would sit upon the mercy seat of the cross, even as the Holy Spirit of GOD dwelt between the cherubim of the mercy seat in the Holy of Holies. That no more would men go in behind a curtain and sprinkle the blood of bulls and goats on a golden ark, but that He shed His blood as atonement for ALL who believe.

And, as He hung on that cross, He was our High Priest, offering up, as it were, a sweet savour, well-pleasing to the LORD. Isaiah 53:10 says that “It pleased the LORD to bruise Him. GOD the Father wasn’t getting some sick thrill out of seeing this. He was glad because now the veil could be torn in two, the dividing wall between the Jews and Gentiles had been broken down and the New Covenant was now ratified. Now, men would no longer need to worry about whether or not they were “good enough” to get into heaven, because Jesus’ sacrifice was great enough to get us in.

When I survey the wondrous cross on which the Prince of Glory died;
My richest gain I count but loss, and pour contempt on all my pride.
Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast, save in the death of Christ, my God;
All the vain things that charm me most, I sacrifice them to his blood.
See, from his head, his hands, his feet, sorrow and love flow mingled down.
Did e'er such love and sorrow meet, or thorns compose so rich a crown.
Were the whole realm of nature mine, that were an offering far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine, demands my soul, my life, my all.
Part 2 tomorrow.